A question about private Soundcloud tracks

Dan

17 Mar, 2014 06:58 PM

Hi there,

I'm preparing a dispatch about an album release and just wanted to clarify something about letting journalists hear promotional tracks.

Obviously I'll be sending the dispatch out well before the release date so I don't want the tracks to be public ob Soundcloud. In your article about Soundcloud audio it says:

"If you don't want the rest of the world downloading your tracks for free, then set the account to private."

However, this links to a page on soundcloud (http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/581668) that states:

"Unfortunately, it’s not possible to make your account private. However, you can always make your sounds private."

So, am I right in thinking that I should make each individual track, plus the set they're part of, private... and that if I do this, journalists who read my dispatch will still be able to stream & download the tracks without having to login to soundcloud?

I just wanted to be clear on this before accidentally sending out any dead links! Cheers!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by dmitri on 17 Mar, 2014 07:17 PM

Hey Dan,

I believe you have the right idea regarding what to do with your Soundcloud tracks, but we actually recommend you use our own music uploading system within StoryAmp.

You'll notice in the Edit Audio section you have two choices. Connect with Soundcloud or Upload Audio. Connecting with Soundcloud is fine, if you follow the steps correctly, but to be 100% about your tracks being private, it would be wise to use our own system, then once you do, there is an 'Edit Tracks' button that you can set to "Only allow journalists to hear"

This should solve your problems. Please let me know if this all makes sense and you're happy with that option.

Thank you,
    Garrett @ StoryAmp.com

2. 2 Posted by Dan on 17 Mar, 2014 07:45 PM

Oh cool, thanks.. I didn't notice that option when I set everything up, but I see it now. I'll upload the tracks to Story Amp instead, much better idea. (plus I'm running out of space on Souncloud anyway!)

Thanks! :)

3. 3 Posted by Dan on 17 Mar, 2014 08:28 PM

oh... except I can't upload more than one track without upgrading my account. Is that right?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by dmitri on 19 Mar, 2014 03:21 PM

That is correct Dan. So if you don't want to upgrade and decide to stick with Soundcloud, please do two things
    #1 - Make sure you create a 'playlist' of your album in Soundcloud. #2 - Make sure you have blue play buttons show up under your picture in StoryAmp once you've added the tracks. This means they worked correctly.

Let me know how it goes

5. 5 Posted by Dan on 22 Mar, 2014 07:41 PM

Hey Dmitri,

Thanks for the response.

The blue play buttons do indeed show up, but no audio plays.

As a test, I changed the default playlist to a different one which is not set to 'private', saved another draft of the dispatch, and these tracks play just fine.

So there seems to be an issue where tracks set to 'private' in Soundcloud won't play in the dispatch...

...is there any other way around this?

Cheers!
    Dan

6. 6 Posted by Dan Knowler on 22 Mar, 2014 07:54 PM

Hey Dmitri,

Thanks for the response.

The blue play buttons do indeed show up, but no audio plays.

As a test, I changed the default playlist to a different one which is not set to 'private', saved another draft of the dispatch, and these tracks play just fine.

So there seems to be an issue where tracks set to 'private' in Soundcloud won't play in the dispatch...

...is there any other way around this?

Cheers!
    Dan

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by dmitri on 24 Mar, 2014 01:49 PM

Hey Dan,

Unfortunately there is no way around this at this time. We will have our programmers look into this more very shortly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and for the extra testing. As for your Dispatch, it looks good and the music plays as of now, so feel free to push it out to journalists when ready

8. 8 Posted by Dan on 24 Mar, 2014 09:08 PM

Cheers Dmitri,

In the end I figured paying for an upgraded account was the best way forward anyway, as we may have some events to promote in the coming months - the fancy listings look pretty useful - so I used Storyamp's own uploader which all seems to work fine.

Cheers!
    D

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by dmitri on 14 Apr, 2014 02:26 PM

Great to hear Dan! And yes, StoryAmp's own audio system is wonderful and yes, there are a lot of advantages to the Fancy Listings option. Glad we were able to help

10. dmitri closed this discussion on 14 Apr, 2014 02:26 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac